The frame design is based on the classic Parisian “Mixte” that was one of the most popular and enduring city bikes during the 1960s and 1970s. We picked the frame style for the elegant “bird-like” nature of the construction. It’s like riding on a fine piece of engineering; architects and designers are especially drawn to it.
The PUBLIC M8 is an easy-shifting eight-speed bike suitable for all cities, even for the hills of Kentucky. The M8 incorporates the step-through frame design that is optimal for city riding when you frequently need to stop and put your feet on the ground — especially suited for those who wear skirts or prefer not to swing a leg over a typical crossbar. In Europe it would not be referred to as a girls bike, as many men also prefer this style for its comfort and practicality.
Think of it as an elegant workhorse. The Shimano eight-speed gearing system provides power and speed on flatlands, and takes the sweat out of carrying heavy office materials, your laptop or groceries. Simply stated, it makes city riding easy, and we recommend it to anyone who plans to ride often and in varying road conditions.
- Comfortable and Smooth Riding: Steel tubing and frame geometry make for a softer ride experience than other frames and materials.
- Practical: Kickstands so you don’t have to prop your bike up against a lamppost. Chain guards and fenders to keep oil and water off your clothes. Designed to accommodate our racks and baskets for extra carrying capabilities.
- Feet friendly: Ride with boots, pumps, flip-flops, or anything in between
- Ergonomic: Upright handlebars keep you looking up, not down, and are kind to your back. Seats are designed for normal clothing and we offer special comfort options for any and all rear ends.
- Easy to use: The Shimano Nexus system brings state-of-the-art smart technology to the shifting system. Changing through the eight-gears is about as easy as shifting an automatic car.
- Safe: Powerful modern brakes for quick stopping and reflective strips on tires for nighttime visibility.
- City Smart: 35 MM tires are wide enough to handle curbs and potholes but narrow enough for speed.
- Durable: Steel frame will last a lifetime if taken care of properly and guaranteed for life.